jump to navigation

…lots of little rust areas… January 1, 2008

Posted by Chief in Bicycle, Biking, build, Equipment, homebrew, maintenance.
Tags: , , , ,
add a comment

…remember what I said about the cables looking good? They do. It’s the housings that are horrible.

The shifter cables at the head tube.

The brake cables on the handlebar.

Inside the STI lever.

It’s easier to replace all the cables. Should be fun.

…shopping list… January 1, 2008

Posted by Chief in Bicycle, Biking, build, Equipment, maintenance, review.
Tags: , , , , , ,
add a comment

…Ok, so I am working up a shopping list for the bike rebuild. It doesn’t need much. Stuff does add up in a hurry, but I think I can make a pretty cool looking bike fairly inexpensively.

Handlebar tape:

The Yellow/Black near the middle of the image. About $15.

Seat:

It’s a yellow and black saddle, so it matches the bike color scheme, for $20. Waaay cheaper than the Brooks I really want to put on it.

Pedals:

CrankBros Eggbeater Chromoly pedals. $40. And I can use the shoes I already have.

Other items:

  • Yellow paint for details, like head tube emblem.
  • New shifter and brake cables.
  • Small yellow/black under seat tool bag.

So, take a look at my flickr set for the bike rebuild, and let me know what else you think I should do. So far, I’ve cleaned up and fixed the front derailleur and rear brake, wire brushed and primed the head tube badge, removed the bar tape, removed the rusted toe clip pedals, and removed the front brake for cleaning/repair.

Depending on the price of the cables, I’ll have the bike rebuilt and looking great for about $100. Add to that the $250 purchase price, and it’s a nearly new compact road bike for less than $400!

…fixed front derailleur… December 31, 2007

Posted by Chief in Bicycle, Biking, build, Equipment, Information, maintenance.
Tags: , , , ,
add a comment

…so, I fixed the front derailleur. Pretty easy. The two adjusting screws, seen in the pic below, affect the range of travel. They were both screwed in all the way and lock-tite’d. Simply backing them out allows normal range of travel.

Now on to other parts… check out my flickr photos to see more of the little rust issues.

At least the chain is in good condition. Not a fraction of a millimeter of stretch!