jump to navigation

…going back together… January 5, 2008

Posted by Chief in Bicycle, Biking, build, Equipment, Hawaii, maintenance, Photos.
Tags: , , , ,
add a comment

So, I’m slowly getting the little parts and pieces cleaned up and putting the bike back together.

2004 Giant OCR 3 rebuild

After taping the handlebars, I had to fit up the new seat to see how everything looks… I’m still grinning! 🙂  This is going to be one sharp looking bike.

Advertisements

…lots of little rust areas… January 1, 2008

Posted by Chief in Bicycle, Biking, build, Equipment, homebrew, maintenance.
Tags: , , , ,
add a comment

…remember what I said about the cables looking good? They do. It’s the housings that are horrible.

The shifter cables at the head tube.

The brake cables on the handlebar.

Inside the STI lever.

It’s easier to replace all the cables. Should be fun.

…brake tip… January 1, 2008

Posted by Chief in Bicycle, Biking, build, homebrew, maintenance.
Tags: , , ,
1 comment so far

Here’s a tip for brake maintenance:

If you have side-pull or dual-pivot brakes, and you get a rough or audible release, check your tension spring.  There should be a little groove where the spring presses against the second arm. This spring will slide a little inside a little plastic tube. Your little plastic tube may have disintegrated, leaving a metal on metal rub that will feel rough and may be slightly audible.

This is what my little black plastic thing looked like. So, I had to replace it – but with what?

After poking around my garage for a bit and trying a few things, I tried an electrical connector. These are little red plastic tubes with a slight shoulder on each end, and a metal roll pin inside. Simply punch the roll pin out, dab a touch of grease inside the plastic tube, slide over the spring end, and pop back into the groove.

The top shoulder keeps the red tube from sliding off, and the tension spring slides noiseless and effortless inside the plastic tube.

…shopping list… January 1, 2008

Posted by Chief in Bicycle, Biking, build, Equipment, maintenance, review.
Tags: , , , , , ,
add a comment

…Ok, so I am working up a shopping list for the bike rebuild. It doesn’t need much. Stuff does add up in a hurry, but I think I can make a pretty cool looking bike fairly inexpensively.

Handlebar tape:

The Yellow/Black near the middle of the image. About $15.

Seat:

It’s a yellow and black saddle, so it matches the bike color scheme, for $20. Waaay cheaper than the Brooks I really want to put on it.

Pedals:

CrankBros Eggbeater Chromoly pedals. $40. And I can use the shoes I already have.

Other items:

  • Yellow paint for details, like head tube emblem.
  • New shifter and brake cables.
  • Small yellow/black under seat tool bag.

So, take a look at my flickr set for the bike rebuild, and let me know what else you think I should do. So far, I’ve cleaned up and fixed the front derailleur and rear brake, wire brushed and primed the head tube badge, removed the bar tape, removed the rusted toe clip pedals, and removed the front brake for cleaning/repair.

Depending on the price of the cables, I’ll have the bike rebuilt and looking great for about $100. Add to that the $250 purchase price, and it’s a nearly new compact road bike for less than $400!

…fixed front derailleur… December 31, 2007

Posted by Chief in Bicycle, Biking, build, Equipment, Information, maintenance.
Tags: , , , ,
add a comment

…so, I fixed the front derailleur. Pretty easy. The two adjusting screws, seen in the pic below, affect the range of travel. They were both screwed in all the way and lock-tite’d. Simply backing them out allows normal range of travel.

Now on to other parts… check out my flickr photos to see more of the little rust issues.

At least the chain is in good condition. Not a fraction of a millimeter of stretch!

…wheel bearing grease… December 15, 2007

Posted by Chief in Bicycle, Biking, build, Equipment, Hawaii, homebrew, Information, maintenance.
Tags: , , , , , ,
1 comment so far

…so, I have an update on my first experience with repacking my bicycle wheel bearings…

Since I didn’t have the correct grease, but wanted to get my bike back on the road, I messed around with mixing some stuff up that I had in the garage. What I found was that mixing the multi purpose red grease with some white lithium grease and some anti-seize lubricant resulted in a smoothly blended grease that was the same consistency and color as what was in the bike in the first place. So, I tried it out.

Several days later, my assessment is that the blend works just fine. The wheel rolls great. There are no apparent problems with the home-blended grease yet. Do I recommend doing it this way as a norm? No. Is it ok in a pinch? Probably.

Also, if you don’t have a really thin metric wrench to hold the cone nut while you tighten the locknut, you can grind the sides down on a 1/2″ open end wrench, and it should work just fine (mine did). I’m adding the ground down wrench to my slowly growing bag of bike tools, and I’m mixing up a small amount of the grease to have on hand, just in case.

Here’s how I mixed it:

Start with the multi-purpose red grease. Start mixing in white lithium grease a little at a time until you get a smooth consistency that is about a light rose or salmon color. The amounts are not exact, but you will use more red than white. Once you’ve got that mixture right where you want it, add a tiny bit of anti-seize. A little goes a long way when mixing this up, so start with a drop or two of anti-seize for a half cup of grease mixture. The anti-seize won’t blend as readily as the greases, but keep stirring. You should end up with a silvery-pinkish grease mixture. Try it out and let me know how it works for you.

Also, if you don’t have anti-seize, you can mix your own with some dry graphite or molybdenum and a little mineral oil. That’s it. Pretty easy…